Thursday, January 7, 2016

Been busy, backdrop, electricity and a bridge

Latest update:

      Been sick ....you know..... a man's cold, but the last few days, I've been hard at work. I don't have much to show, been testing a few things such as a backdrop and some wiring of tortoises.

     I have a color printer and thought "hey maybe I could do my own backdrop", I'm pretty at ease with Photoshop, why not give it a try. I did look up Backdropjunction and for what I would need, it would cost me about $2,700 (about 170 feet). As for painting, I can draw straight lines only...lol. Here's a look.



     You all know that I'm a big "zero" when it comes to electricity or electronics, well, I'm no longer a zero, but maybe a 10 (that's out of 100). I manage to hook up two tortoises together with one switch and it works fine. I've been having no success with my tortoises last year because the wire wasn't stiff enough to move the turnout, so I did a bit of research and read that I should remove the spring in the turnout. I did that for both turnouts and voila, it works. Can someone confirm that I did right by removing the spring, because without a tortoise, that turnout is no longer good.



     I've also been working on my other bridge, a trestle bridge which is almost done and trying to come up with some sort of design for my river/falls under those two bridges.



     Lastly, I'm working on finishing the video on how I build my covered bridge. I had to condense a 6 hour video into 45 minutes and now I just need to narrate the whole thing, so maybe another 2-3 weeks before I'm done with it.

      It just seems that I did lots, but don't have much to show. Hoping to have more done on the layout by my next update.

Thanks for following, later.




3 comments:

  1. Removing the spring is perfect for use with the tortoise....some people also switch out the wire on the tortoise for a stiffer grade.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gene, Thanks
    One question, what do you mean by "switch out the wire on the tortoise for a stiffer grade"

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know the wire that comes off the tortoise and goes up through your baseboard to the switch to move it....that wire...I've heard that people change that wire that is supplied with the tortoise with one that is stiffer

    ReplyDelete