Wednesday, September 3, 2014

First step is to analyse the area


     I surveyed the available area which I will be using for my layout. I then designed the layout of the tables. I wanted small size tables so that if ever I needed to move my layout, it would be easy. I also made sure that I had no more than 30 inches of reach anywhere around the layout. The one thing that was important for me was to have the maximum possible area for my layout.

     The area on the top right is presently used for office, which later can be added to my layout. The top left area is a room which I'll be using as a working area and then added to my layout ........ always think big.

     I then needed to inform myself on this hobby since I had many questions. I joined a few forums on train modeling, watched many videos, did lots of searches on materials, trains, and everything associated with this hobby. In one of the forums, four questions needed to be answered. 

  1. Did I want to just run trains or be able to work train yards, I wanted both.
  2. Did I want passenger trains or freight, I wanted both.
  3. What era did I want to portrait, I decided on the 1960's
  4. What company did I want to run, I opted for Canadian Pacific

      My final decision is as follow, it will be Canadian Pacific in the 1960's and I'll be running both passenger and freight. The passenger train will be a continuous run while the freight will have 7-8 yards which I'll need to operate.


No comments:

Post a Comment